Friday, January 1, 2010

India - What Happened to Change - March 12,2009 8:58 am.

I originally posted this on my Facebook page. But I realized that posting there would mean some of my friends could not see those posts. So... Here goes...


Before I came to India I got a long travel advisory from the travel agent - what to drink, what not to eat, what to wear, where to go.. and by the way when Holi came around the advisory said 'Do not go out'. Of course I didn't. I never play Holi, partly because its always during Lent, and partly because of my intense aversion to getting slathered in multi-colored hues, that end up looking black. So I stayed in the solitary air-conditioned comfort of my room and worked - Its not a holiday in Canada, so I had to work. But not before some calls from friends and relatives. Which was a nice way of passing the day. But I did get loads of work done.

And then of course, the travel advisory said 'you will never get any change back'. Now being the typical Indian, I thought, how bad could it get? Surely someone would have some khulla - like did no one do business anymore? I decided to ignore that piece of advice.

Dayummmm... was I ever wrong...!!

I took an auto to work the first day - no khulla. The cab on the way home - no khulla. The story begins to be repeated ad nauseum. The office cafeteria - no khulla. The wi-fi card seller - no khulla. By now, I am getting desperate! This is madness!! What happened to all the change? Where does it go? Or does it go anywhere at all?!

By the time I return to the cold frontiers of the white north - I may or may not unravel this mystery. But for sure, the next time I get some money changed - I'm gonna demand 10s.. no fifties, no hundreds, no five hundreds - ONLY TENS, I tell you!!!

No comments: